On 17 May 2017, workers supporting young people gathered for an afternoon of information sharing, building networks and learning more about minimising living expenses and housing overheads for young people on low incomes in their rental properties or public housing.
Each year Hope Street holds a community capacity building event where staff in the homelessness sector can learn about new research and resources available to young people who are homeless or in threat of being homeless. The forum, held at the Harry Atkinson Art and Craft Centre in Coburg, was for youth workers, homelessness staff and anyone working with young people.
Guest speakers included:
- Donna Bennett, CEO, Hope Street Youth and Family Services
- Cathy Clarke, Financial Counsellor, Lentara Uniting Care
- Damian Sullivan, Research and Policy Manager, Brotherhood of St Laurence
- Jason Cox, Program Coordinator, Moreland Energy Foundation
- Sandra Bros, Team Leader, Haven; Home, Safe
- Vincentcare Private Rental Brokerage
Young people performed at the event and they talked about their experiences of living on a budget