We have all read the articles about the increased cost of housing, including private rental, pushing more and more people to the outer suburbs for a more affordable home.
Now imagine if you were homeless and experiencing one or more of the following:
- on the lowest form of income
- facing high levels of discrimination
- have no rental history and no-one to provide a reference
- not able to speak English
- are under 25 years of age with a mental illness/condition
- have no family support
- are disengaged from school and your local community
The picture is clear, complex and extremely distressing for the young people who live it. So what can we do?
Get help now
If you, or someone you know, is homeless or at risk of being homeless, you can get in touch with a "Homelessness Access Point". These access points are ways that a young person can start to get support from organisations.
If you, or someone you know, is having any issues, there are people that you can talk to for advice and support.
Check out our Need Help? section for contact numbers, links and other information.
As part of the community, we are all responsible for looking out for each other, especially those who are experiencing situations that negatively affect their life such as having no stable housing/accommodation.
- Learn more about youth homelessness from young people themselves and through the other sites listed in our Homelessness / Housing section — it includes social media links so you can engage with others on the same topic — get the facts and stats on homelessness
- Talk about youth homelessness with your family, friends and wider community. More people need to know about how and why there are so many young people and young families without stable housing/accommodation. We have a glimpse into how homeless young people feel — let's not make them feel forgotten any longer
Support organisations that are helping homeless youth
- You can donate to organisations like ours that are supporting youth who are already homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless
- Look for volunteer opportunities
- If you, or someone you know, is part of an organisation/business, they can partner with us